Student Organization Recognition & Renewal
Starting a New Student Organization
- Students wishing to create a new student organization must establish a constitution & bylaws (sample), maintain officers and a minimum membership of 5 students (sample roster). Student Organizations are also required to retain a faculty/staff adviser at all times.
- Student Organizations must be started by current and enrolled UTC students, and may not be started by alumni, affiliate members, community members or UTC faculty/staff.
- Students will submit their request for recognition through OrgSync. Please log in either by clicking the logo on the right or by clicking here. Once logged in, Click the "Organizations" link in the blue bar at the top. Click the green "Register New Organization" button and when prompted select the "Dean of Students Office" umbrella and fill out the registration form.
- The application will be reviewed by the SGA Procedures Committee, then passed on with a recommendation of favorable/unfavorable to be voted on by the SGA Senate. Once approved by the SGA Senate, it will be passed on to the Dean of Students Office for final approval. If there are changes, additions or inaccuracies that need to be corrected with your request, you will be contacted by the SGA Parliamentarian and provided feedback and instructions for correction through your request on OrgSync.
- Students Organizations will receive written notification of approval from the Dean of Students Office upon receipt of vote from SGA.
Can I recruit new members/hold informational meetings during my recognition approval process? Yes, you are permitted to hold up to 3 information meetings in a University Center facility prior to approval.
Please Note: Student Organizations should be created by students, for students. If faculty or staff members are interested in creating an organization to fit a particular need on campus, they should speak with students and discuss their interest and allow the students, if they choose to proceed, complete the registration. Outside organizations like national academic or service honor societies/fraternities/sororities, should work with academic departments and gain interest, instead of approaching our office first.
Students interested in starting a new inter/national sorority or fraternity or inter/national sorority and fraternity headquarters, under jurisdiction from the National Panhellenic Conference, North-American Interfraternity Conference or National Pan-Hellenic Council, Inc., should contact Aubrey Duman, Assistant Dean of Students at firstname.lastname@example.org regarding the proper procedure.
Renewing a Current Student Organization or Requesting Inactive Status
- All recognized student organizations are required to maintain their current roster, constitution & bylaws and officer/adviser information on file with the Dean of Students Office. This information is to be updated annually OR when changes are made.
- Annual renewal will be conducted through OrgSync. In May of every academic year, the administrators for the organization's portal on OrgSync will notice a blue bar with a link requesting renewal. This renewal must be completed by the end of the first month of classes each August.
- A successful renewal should include updated information including contacts for officers and advisers, current constitution & bylaws and a current roster in the preferred Microsoft Excel format. A template can be found at this link under the "Student Organization Roster" folder. The Dean of Students Office has the right to request changes if information is not complete or inaccurate and the student completing the renewal will be contacted via their university e-mail address.
If an organization fails to complete renewal, they will be disabled in OrgSync and will not be permitted to utilize facilities on campus for events, request SGA funding and have temporarily lost all student organization privileges outlined in the Student Handbook. If they wish to remain an active organization, the officers must contact the Dean of Students Office to reactivate their portal to complete the renewal.
If an organization wishes to go inactive, an officer (preferably the president or equivalent) must contact the Dean of Students as soon as possible via e-mail with organization name and reason for going inactive. Upon review, the organization's portal on OrgSync will become disabled.
Please Note: Student Organization renewal procedures should be completed by a current or newly elected officer for the organization. We encourage advisers to work with their advisees to ensure that this process is taken care of, however prefer the students lead the process.